Frozen broccoli-cheese sauce makes this hearty soup a speedy addition to a lunchtime or evening meal. It's a great way to use up leftover rice. This recipe can easily be doubled, too. —Laura Mihalenko-DeVoe, Charlotte, North Carolina
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli with cheese sauce, thawed
- 1/2 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in broth and broccoli with sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Add rice and cream. Cook 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through and broccoli is tender (do not boil). Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Broccoli Cheese Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p37
Reviews for Quick Broccoli Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 4, 2009
"My family loves broccoli and definitely loves this soup. I am keeping the recipe and will be making it many more times."