Quick Bread Bowls
"I never thought it could be this easy to make bread bowls at home," writes Renee Keller of Dodgeville, Wisconsin. "While the dough is mixing and rising, you have time to stir up a thick soup or chili to fill the bowls."
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select dough setting (check after 5 minutes of mixing;
- add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured
- surface. Divide into fourths; shape each into a ball. Place on a
- greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Cut
- the top fourth off each roll; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a
- 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill
- with chili, chowder or stew. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 394 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 684 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.