When my twin sister and I were in high school, these muffins were a staple in our home. I've made a few adjustments to the recipe, but it remains a winner.
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Place oats and cereal in a bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, butter and oat mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Best Bran Muffins in Best of Country Breads 2000, p23
Reviews for Quick Bran Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review