Treat your whole family to this old-fashioned favorite from Liecha Collins of Oneonta, New York. "This dessert is suitable for Sunday dinner and everyday suppers, too" she relates.
- 1 quart fresh or frozen (loose-pack) blackberries
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk
- Cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the blackberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and extract; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, remaining sugar and salt. Add milk; stir just until mixed (dough will be very thick).
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into six mounds onto simmering blackberry mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Spoon into serving dishes. Serve with cream or whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Blackberry Dumplings in Country Woman March/April 2004, p23
Reviews for Quick Blackberry Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review