- 1 quart fresh or frozen (loose-pack) blackberries
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk
- Cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the blackberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and extract; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, remaining sugar and salt. Add milk; stir just until mixed (dough will be very thick).
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into six mounds onto simmering blackberry mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Spoon into serving dishes. Serve with cream or whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Blackberry Dumplings in Country Woman March/April 2004, p23
Reviews for Quick Blackberry Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2013 Edited Jul. 12, 2014
"Even thou I did not have enough blackberries I halfed the recipe and it was still very good."