Quick Black Bean Soup
"My mother is a native of Cuba and cooks the best black bean soup anywhere, but her recipe is complicated and takes 2 days to complete. I came up with this faster version, and I think the results are excellent!" writes Ileana Sisson from Osteen, Florida.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained and divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- In a small bowl, mash 1 can black beans until smooth; set aside. In a
- large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and remaining can
- of beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-15
- minutes. Add mashed beans, stirring to combine. Discard bay leaf
- before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 257 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 876 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber,