- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained and divided
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- In a small bowl, mash 1 can black beans until smooth; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and remaining can of beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes. Add mashed beans, stirring to combine. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Quick Black Bean Soup
"My husband doesn't care for black beans but he just loves this soup! Its wonderful combination of spices make it so tasty. I make this recipe often and enjoy it with cornbread."