This recipe deliciously proves savory stews don't have to simmer for hours.—Laura McCormick, Lebanon, Missouri
- 5 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups water
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish; microwave on high until almost tender, about 7-9 minutes. Set aside (do not drain).
- In a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish, cook beef and onion on medium until beef is browned, about 8 minutes; drain. Add potatoes and remaining ingredients. Cover and microwave on medium for 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender and vegetables are heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Quick Beef Stew in Country Woman March/April 1996, p35
Reviews for Quick Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2014
"Agree with previous reviewer, would not use microwave for this. Best made on stovetop."