This recipe deliciously proves savory stews don't have to simmer for hours.—Laura McCormick, Lebanon, Missouri
- 5 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups water
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish; microwave on high until almost tender, about 7-9 minutes. Set aside (do not drain).
- In a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish, cook beef and onion on medium until beef is browned, about 8 minutes; drain. Add potatoes and remaining ingredients. Cover and microwave on medium for 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender and vegetables are heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Quick Beef Stew in Country Woman March/April 1996, p35
Reviews for Quick Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2014
"Agree with previous reviewer, would not use microwave for this. Best made on stovetop."