Quick Bearnaise Sauce
Bearnaise sauce is closely related to Hollandaise sauce but features wine and tarragon. This version from our Test Kitchen is delicious served over cooked vegetables or beef tenderloin.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 8 whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and water. Cook and
- stir over low heat or simmering water until mixture bubbles around
- edges and reaches 160°, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the wine or broth, vinegar,
- shallot, 1-1/2 teaspoons tarragon and peppercorns. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until reduced to 2
- tablespoons. Strain and set liquid aside.
- Cut cold butter into eight pieces; add to egg yolk mixture, one piece
- at a time, stirring after each addition until melted. Stir reserved
- liquid and remaining tarragon into prepared sauce. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 1 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 129 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium,