Quick Bearnaise Sauce Recipe
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 8 whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1. In a small heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and water. Cook and stir over low heat or simmering water until mixture bubbles around edges and reaches 160°, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the wine or broth, vinegar, shallot, 1-1/2 teaspoons tarragon and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Strain and set liquid aside.
- 3. Cut cold butter into eight pieces; add to egg yolk mixture, one piece at a time, stirring after each addition until melted. Stir reserved liquid and remaining tarragon into prepared sauce. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 cup.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 129 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.