Cooking outdoors is a great way to make dinner when time is tight. While the grill is heating up, you can quickly simmer the sauce. To prevent the sauce from burning while grilling, only brush it on during the last few minutes.
Recommended: 99 of Our Favorite Chicken Dinner Ideas
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Dash liquid smoke, optional
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large saucepan, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, onion, celery seed, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper flakes and liquid smoke if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over low heat for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, rub chicken with oil and sprinkle with remaining salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
- Set aside 1/2 cup barbecue sauce for serving. Brush half of the remaining sauce over chicken. Grill, covered, 7-12 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, turning and basting occasionally with sauce. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quick Barbecued Chicken in Taste of Home Meals in Minutes Calendar Annual 2002, p5
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Quick Barbecued Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review