Guests are always impressed when I ignite the rum in this delicious dessert. Use perfectly ripe bananas for best results. —Mary Lou Wayman, Salt Lake City, Utah
Recommended: 35 Recipes that Use Up Ripe Bananas
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 medium bananas
- 2 tablespoons creme de cacao or banana liqueur
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- In a large skillet or flambé pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon until combined. Cut each banana lengthwise and then widthwise into quarters; add to butter mixture. Cook, stirring gently, for 3-5 minutes or until glazed and slightly softened. Stir in creme de cacao; heat through.
- In a small saucepan, heat rum over low heat until vapors form on surface. Carefully ignite rum and slowly pour over bananas, coating evenly.
- Leaving skillet or pan on the cooking surface, gently shake pan back and forth until flames are completely extinguished.
- Spoon ice cream into fluted glasses; top with bananas and sauce. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Bananas Foster in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p193
Reviews for Quick Bananas Foster
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2012
"Delicious I love Bananas and this was excellent"