Arranging Apple slices in a pretty design gives this pie the appearance of a fancy tart. Its rich custard-like filling has an elegant flavor but is easy to prepare. The recipe was passed down by my grandmother, whose love of cooking I've inherited.
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups cold milk, divided
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves or strawberry jelly, melted
- In a large skillet, saute apples, sugar and lemon juice in butter until apples are tender. Cool.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth; gradually beat in 1 cup milk, dry pudding mix and lemon peel. Add remaining milk; beat until thickened. Spread into pastry shell. Arrange apples over filling. Brush with preserves. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Brush with additional preserves if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cream Pie in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p31
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Quick Apple Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review