Impress all of your friends by serving cream soups or dips in bread bowls. It's one of the most popular recipes on my blog, yammiesnoshery.com. —Rachel Heidenreich, Marshall, Michigan
Featured In: 12 Recipes to Make in a Bread Bowl
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups bread flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500°. Punch dough down. Divide and shape into six balls. Place 3 in. apart on two greased baking sheets. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 15 minutes. Using a sharp knife, score surface with shallow cuts in an X pattern. Bake 2 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 425°. Bake 16-18 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of bread. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Quick and Easy Bread Bowls in Soups Bookazine 2016
Reviews for Quick and Easy Bread Bowls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review