- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups bread flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500°. Punch dough down. Divide and shape into six balls. Place 3 in. apart on two greased baking sheets. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 15 minutes. Using a sharp knife, score surface with shallow cuts in an X pattern. Bake 2 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 425°. Bake 16-18 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of bread. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Quick and Easy Bread Bowls
"My husband made these and we used them for TOH's Chessy broccoli soup in a bread bowl recipe. He is not a very experienced baker, but wants to learn to make bread. This recipe, unlike others, turned out good on the first try! The shape of some were not perfect for bread bowls, but that's not the fault of the recipe. We did not have bread flour so substituted all purpose and it worked just fine."
"This is a really easy bread to make when it was done I hollowed it out and put a dip in it second time I filled it with a cheese mixture and it was delicious both times"