Quick & Easy Gumdrops Recipe
These homemade candies are softer than store-bought. They've got that classic fun appeal that people really love. —Leah Rekau, Greendale, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:64 servings
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup plus 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon raspberry extract
- Red food coloring
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water; let stand 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and remaining water to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add gelatin; reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in extract and food coloring as desired.
- 2. Pour into a greased 8-in.-square pan. Refrigerate, covered, 3 hours or until firm.
- 3. Loosen edges of candy from pan with a knife; turn onto a sugared work surface. Cut into 1-in squares; roll in sugar. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature 3-4 hours or until all sides are dry, turning every hour. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 pound (64 pieces).
1 piece (calculated without additional sugar) equals 19 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC