- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh savory or 1 to 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and red pepper in butter until mushrooms are tender. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine cheese and flour. Stir in the milk, eggs, savory, salt and cayenne until blended. Stir in mushroom mixture. Pour into crust.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (cover edges loosely with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning). Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Quiche with Mushrooms
Sort By :
Great flavor!! I made this as written except subbed fresh parsley instead of savory and added a dash of ground nutmeg. The Cayenne may be too spicy for some - perhaps cut back to 1/4 tsp. I used the full 1/2 tsp and it was a tad on the spicy side. My husband usually hates quiche but he loved this one! I used 2, 8-oz. cartons of sliced white mushrooms and sliced them thinner and sauteed in a separate pan until they were golden brown. I used store-bought 9-in deep dish frozen pie shells. It was too much filling for 1 crust. So, I added another egg and 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup cheese. Split between 2 pie crusts and baked for 30-35 min. I think the crusts would've held even another egg, 1/4 cup milk and cheese. Also, when I prebaked the first crust at 450 the edges got too brown - that's why I went ahead and prebaked a second crust using the package directions (375). I covered the first crust edges with foil before baking filled quiches. Next time I make this recipe I will just go ahead and plan on making 2.- It's that good! If I wanted to make just one I would probably cut back to 3 eggs, 1 cup milk, 3/4 cup cheese, 1/4 tsp. cayenne and measure the mushrooms more carefully - maybe only use 1- 8-oz carton. I gave the reciepe 5 stars for flavor. It should probably be 4 stars due to instructions. Instuctions should say followi pie crust directions for blind baking and most quiche recipes add the solid ingredients to crust first then pour the liquid filling over. I should've known better, but a novice wouldn't.
I just made this and it was amazing !!!!
We recently moved and I had no flour but I substituted bisquick for the flour and made it with mushrooms and spinach! It was very yummy :-) thanks for the great recipe!
This is the first time I've ever made a quiche and this recipe was SO easy! It is so delicious, it has some really great flavors going on! I added a few pieces of crispy crumbled bacon and that just put it over the top! I'd highly recommend this recipe to everyone!