Savory, onion and sweet red pepper perk up the mushroom and cheese flavors in this pretty deep-dish pie...and add a little color, too. Ruth Andrewson of Leavenworth, Washington shared this recipe.
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh savory or 1 to 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and red pepper in butter until mushrooms are tender. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine cheese and flour. Stir in the milk, eggs, savory, salt and cayenne until blended. Stir in mushroom mixture. Pour into crust.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (cover edges loosely with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning). Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Quiche in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p59
Reviews for Quiche with Mushrooms
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review