Quiche Lorraine Recipe
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, a little at a time, until dough comes away from the bowl. Form dough into a ball. Divide in half.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer to pie plate. Trim and flute edges. Chill. Wrap remaining dough; chill or freeze for another use.
- 3. For filling, sprinkle crumbled bacon into the chilled pie crust. In a bowl, beat eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg. Stir in cheese. Pour into crust.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°; continue to bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 618 calories, 44 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 596 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.