- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 12 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
- For filling, sprinkle pastry with bacon. Whisk eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg until blended; stir in cheese. Pour over top.
- Bake on a lower oven rack for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°; continue to bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 30-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Quiche Lorraine
"Modify w/Canned Evaporated Milk for 1/2&1/2 Cream.) Salt.Less Bacon~Centre Cut is 70 mgs.per slice.on Salt.Less Swiss lowers numbers too.2 Eggs&equilvalant of Egg Whites for other Two.Crust doesn't require Salt.always in Other Food items.It still comes out Delicious!"
"I wish I'd pre-baked the crust a few minutes before adding the filling -- the bottom was soggy. I used red pepper flakes instead of nutmeg."
"I've not made the crust portion of this recipe opting to use pre-made pie crusts but the filling is excellent. I prefer to use ham instead of bacon."
"a great recipe as is, but also a perfect base for using up any leftover veggies or whatever-we have this quiche every couple of weeks"
"Excellent! We love this recipe. I double the recipe and pour it into a greased 9" x 13" glass dish without the crust and serve it for Sunday Brunch. I also use Real Bacon bits 6 oz. instead of cooking bacon. Tastes great!!"
"I put all kinds of things in my quiche like ham ,sausage brocolie, spinach,or tomatoes and I always use the quiche lorraine recipe."
"hi can i change the bacon to ham."