Quiche Lorraine Recipe
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, a little at a time, until dough comes away from the bowl. Form dough into a ball. Divide in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer to pie plate. Trim and flute edges. Chill. Wrap remaining dough; chill or freeze for another use.
- For filling, sprinkle crumbled bacon into the chilled pie crust. In a bowl, beat eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg. Stir in cheese. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°; continue to bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Quiche Lorraine
Sort By :
Modify w/Canned Evaporated Milk for 1/2&1/2 Cream.) Salt.Less Bacon~Centre Cut is 70 mgs.per slice.on Salt.Less Swiss lowers numbers too.2 Eggs&equilvalant of Egg Whites for other Two.Crust doesn't require Salt.always in Other Food items.It still comes out Delicious!
For a little change, try using loose hash browns mixed with a little butter. Place in pie pan. Put in oven till hashbrowns are brown. Then place all the rest of ingredients in & bake till it is set. So good!
I wish I'd pre-baked the crust a few minutes before adding the filling -- the bottom was soggy. I used red pepper flakes instead of nutmeg.
I've not made the crust portion of this recipe opting to use pre-made pie crusts but the filling is excellent. I prefer to use ham instead of bacon.
a great recipe as is, but also a perfect base for using up any leftover veggies or whatever-we have this quiche every couple of weeks
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Mother's Day Breakfast Recipes >
- Mother's Day Brunch Recipes >