Quiche Italiano Recipe
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni, halved
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1-1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium tomato, cut into wedges
- 1. Line pie plate with pastry. Trim edges and flute. Do not prick shell. Weight shell with dried beans or metal pie weights to prevent bubbles. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven. Remove weights; set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, cook the pepperoni, green pepper, onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in oregano and fennel seeds. In pastry, layer 1 cup mozzarella cheese; top with pepperoni mixture. In medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour into pastry shell.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with tomato wedges. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 428 calories, 30 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 176 mg cholesterol, 768 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.