Quail With Rice Recipe
I discovered this recipe almost 20 years ago. Quail is a family favorite every fall when my husband goes hunting. It's an elegant meal, using only one skillet, so there's hardly any cleanup or fuss. —Lenora Picolet, Dwight, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 bacon strips, halved
- 8 quail (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until partially done. Remove bacon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Brown quail in drippings. Remove and keep warm. Saute carrots, onions and parsley in drippings until tender. Add broth, rice, salt and lemon-pepper; bring to a boil. Place quail over rice; place one bacon strip on each. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is tender and quail is cooked. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 741 calories, 40 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 181 mg cholesterol, 1,204 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 50 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC