I discovered this recipe almost 20 years ago. Quail is a family favorite every fall when my husband goes hunting. It's an elegant meal, using only one skillet, so there's hardly any cleanup or fuss. —Lenora Picolet, Dwight, Kansas
- 4 bacon strips, halved
- 8 quail (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until partially done. Remove bacon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Brown quail in drippings. Remove and keep warm. Saute carrots, onions and parsley in drippings until tender. Add broth, rice, salt and lemon-pepper; bring to a boil. Place quail over rice; place one bacon strip on each. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is tender and quail is cooked. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quail With Rice in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p37
Reviews for Quail With Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2015
"We loved this recipe, it was perfect for delicately flavored quail."