I discovered this recipe almost 20 years ago. Quail is a family favorite every fall when my husband goes hunting. It's an elegant meal, using only one skillet, so there's hardly any cleanup or fuss. —Lenora Picolet, Dwight, Kansas
- 4 bacon strips, halved
- 8 quail (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until partially done. Remove bacon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Brown quail in drippings. Remove and keep warm. Saute carrots, onions and parsley in drippings until tender. Add broth, rice, salt and lemon-pepper; bring to a boil. Place quail over rice; place one bacon strip on each. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is tender and quail is cooked. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quail With Rice in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p37
Reviews for Quail With Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review