Quail with Mushroom Gravy Recipe
Succulent quail with a snappy sauce makes an impressive entree. "This dish tastes wonderful over rice or toast points. Sometimes I'll use cinnamon toast to add delicate flavor," says Chris Sendelbach of Henry, Illinois.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 whole quail (5 to 6 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Drizzle lemon juice over quail; sprinkle with pepper. In a large skillet, brown quail in oil and butter, turning frequently; remove and set aside.
- 2. Stir flour, parsley and onion into the drippings until blended. Gradually stir in the broth, mushrooms, water and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; return quail to pan. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until meat is tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 141 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 451 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC