Enlist the kids to help assemble these fun and tasty turtle-like candies. They make great holiday gifts from the kitchen.
—Brenda Amyx, Robert Lee, Texas
36 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 36 butter-flavored crackers
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the caramel topping and pecans on high
- for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until mixture is thickened.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Place the crackers on waxed paper-lined baking
- sheets. Spoon 1 teaspoon caramel mixture over each cracker.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until
- smooth. Dip the bottom of each cracker in chocolate; shake off
- excess. Place caramel side down on waxed paper-lined pans.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. Store in an airtight container.
- Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 pieces) equals 90 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.