Puttanesca Meatball Sliders Recipe
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 15 dinner rolls
- Place tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the garlic, pepper flakes and fennel; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the tomatoes, capers, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup cheese, bread crumbs, milk, egg, parsley, garlic, pepper and salt. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into fifteen 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Transfer meatballs to sauce; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Place a meatball on each roll. Top with sauce and remaining cheese. Yield: 15 sliders.
Originally published as Puttanesca Meatball Sliders in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p173
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Puttanesca Meatball Sliders
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 25, 2014
where are the anchovy fillets???????????