- Place tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until pureed.
- Set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add
- the garlic, pepper flakes and fennel; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in
- the tomatoes, capers, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup cheese, bread crumbs,
- milk, egg, parsley, garlic, pepper and salt. Crumble meat over
- mixture and mix well. Shape into fifteen 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Transfer meatballs
- to sauce; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until a
- thermometer reads 160°.
- Place a meatball on each roll. Top with sauce and remaining cheese.
- Yield: 15 sliders.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slider equals 248 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 482 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.