Puttanesca Meatball Sliders Recipe
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 15 dinner rolls
- 1. Place tomatoes in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the garlic, pepper flakes and fennel; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the tomatoes, capers, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup cheese, bread crumbs, milk, egg, parsley, garlic, pepper and salt. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into fifteen 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 3. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Transfer meatballs to sauce; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Place a meatball on each roll. Top with sauce and remaining cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze rolls in resealable freezer bags. Freeze meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Place a meatball on each roll and top as directed. Yield: 15 sliders.
1 each: 248 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein .
Reviews for Puttanesca Meatball Sliders
"where are the anchovy fillets???????????"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.