What a stylish idea! Celebrate a teenage girl's birthday or top off a day of Christmas shopping with this purse-shaped cake. It's easy to create—no special baking pan required.
9 ServingsPrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- Paste food coloring of your choice
- Silver dragees
- 1 piece wired ribbon (10-inches)
- 1 plastic drinking straw, cut into 3-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and water; beat on low
- speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour 4 cups
- batter into a greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. square baking pan
- (discard remaining batter).
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until light
- and fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla; beat