- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- Paste food coloring of your choice
- Silver dragees
- 1 piece wired ribbon (10-inches)
- 1 plastic drinking straw, cut into 3-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour 4 cups batter into a greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. square baking pan (discard remaining batter).
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Tint frosting as desired.
- Using a serrated knife, level top of cake if necessary. Using dental floss, cut cake in half diagonally by starting at a top edge and pulling floss through to opposite bottom edge. Place cakes together with wide ends at bottom, forming a triangle. Cut off top 3-in.; spread frosting between layers.
- Transfer cake to a serving platter; spread frosting over the top and sides of cake. Decorate as desired with remaining frosting and dragees. For handle, insert each end of ribbon into a drinking straw; insert each end into top of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Purse Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p25
Reviews for Purse Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 14, 2011
"Nice and easy!"