- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pecan halves, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar, eggs and oil until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, salt, ginger and nutmeg; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost top and sides of cake. Garnish with pecan halves if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Purple-Ribbon Pumpkin Cake
"Everyone loved this cake!"
"Excellent Recipe..My 15 yr old Granddaughter is an expert with this recipe. Family favorite."
"This is the ONLY pumpkin cake recipe I use. I get requests for it all the time. In fact I'm making it for church tomorrow right now!"
"My family and friends love it!!"
"Easy, yummy, and great texture. A do over! The only substitution I used, 3 Teaspoons pumpkin pie spice rather then the spices listed. It gave it a very good pumpkin flavor!"
"The best pumpkin cake ever!"
"My family loved it and I am making it the second time in 1 week for extended family."
"i added 1 tea of pumpkin spice as well and it is my preachers favorite-- i would make it all of the time if i can only keep pumpkin on hand"
"Will definitely make this for Thanksgiving. Very tasty and simple."