- Patterns Below
- Heavy-duty cardboard
- Tacky (craft) glue
- 2 packages white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- ROYAL ICING:
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup meringue powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 9 whole graham crackers
- 12 whole chocolate graham crackers
- FINISHING TOUCHES:
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Green food coloring
- Assorted candies such as licorice, M&M's, Starburst and Tootsie Rolls
- Assorted cookies, crackers and/or pretzels
- Trace patterns onto cardboard; cut out. Apply glue along base and one side of front of house and the adjoining side wall. Place walls at right angles to each other; prop with small cans. Repeat with second side wall and back of house. Apply glue along top edges of house walls; position roof pieces. Apply glue to joining edges. Let dry completely.
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour 6 cups batter into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Bake remaining batter according to package directions; save for another use.
- For dog, in a large saucepan, combine the marshmallows, butter and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in cereal. With buttered hands, shape mixture into a dog shape, about 8 in. long by 6 in. wide. Brush dog with corn syrup; press coconut over dog to cover completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- For doghouse, attach graham crackers to cardboard with icing, using a serrated knife to trim crackers as necessary. (Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.)
- Tint cream cheese frosting and the coconut green; frost cake and top with coconut. Transfer doghouse and dog to cake. Add a candy leash, face and ears to dog as desired. (Heat Starburst and Tootsie Rolls in the microwave for a few seconds, then roll and shape into features as desired.) Attach facial features and ears with royal icing.
- Attach a cookie name plate over the door with icing; add a name with cookies, crackers, candies or icing as desired. Add a fence and other decorations such as bone-shaped crackers if desired. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for Puppy Birthday Cake
"A very cute 'cake' for a Toddler! Read all directions and copy the Patterns at 200% to get the full size for the 'finished cake'. It will surely please a small toddler! Remember you can switch the cake mix to any flavor (vanilla [yellow], chocolate, any flavor that will taste well with green butter icing & coconut). It is your choice!"