Pumpkin with Walnuts and Blue Cheese
Don't hold off on serving pumpkin as the dinner finale. Bring it to the forefront with this unique and lovely side dish that will garner you recipe requests.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 5 pounds pie pumpkins, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 20 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- Place pumpkin in a greased 15-in. x 1-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle
- with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at
- 375° for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add
- walnuts; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until toasted.
- Place pumpkin on a serving platter. Top with onion mixture. Sprinkle
- with blue cheese and sage. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 154 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.