Don't hold off on serving pumpkin as the dinner finale. Bring it to the forefront with this unique and lovely side dish that will garner you recipe requests.
Recommended: 30 Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 pounds pie pumpkins, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 20 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place pumpkin in a greased 15x1x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in remaining oil until tender. Add walnuts; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until toasted.
- Place pumpkin on a serving platter. Top with onion mixture. Sprinkle with blue cheese and sage. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin with Walnuts and Blue Cheese in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p111