Pumpkin Whoopie Pies Recipe
My kids start begging me for these cake-like sandwich cookies as soon as autumn arrives. I haven't met a person yet who doesn't like these fun treats. —Deb Stuber, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger; add to creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin.
- 2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking pans; flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Bake at 400° for 10-11 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over medium heat 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add chilled milk mixture; beat for 7 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 340 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 225 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC