Pumpkin Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup cooked fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes, carrots, celery, lima beans and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the pumpkin, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 153 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 583 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.