Pumpkin Vegetable Soup
This golden-toned soup is wonderfully warming on crisp autumn days. "Unlike most creamy pumpkin soups, this one is especially hearty, with additional vegetables such as potatoes, carrots and corn," notes Joan Conover, Easton, Pennsylvania. "For fun autumn flair, serve the soup in hollowed-out pumpkin shells. My boys love it that way."
7 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup cooked fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the
- broth, potatoes, carrots, celery, lima beans and corn. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in the pumpkin, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cook 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 153 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 583 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable,