- 2 to 3 cups leftover crumbled unfrosted spice cake, muffins or gingerbread
- 2-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- Set aside 1/4 cup of cake crumbs for topping. Divide remaining crumbs into four portions; sprinkle one portion into a trifle bowl or 3-qt. serving bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin, pudding mixes and spices; beat until smooth. Spoon half into the serving bowl. Sprinkle with a second portion of crumbs. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; spoon half into bowl.
- Sprinkle with a third portion of crumbs. Top with the remaining pumpkin mixture, then remaining portion of crumbs and whipped cream. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs around the edge of bowl. Garnish with cherries if desired. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Trifle
"I love to make triffles, serve triffles and eat triffles! This one is delicious and it's nice that you can use gingerbread or spice cake. Such a treat for fall and those holidays. I had an empty bowl return when I took this to a gathering."
"YUMMY! This was very well received at a Progressive Dinner Party. I used a gingerbread cake which being deep golden brown in color some folks thought it was a chocolate dirt cake but quickly learned otherwise! I gave it a little extra zip by making cinnamon-flavored sweetened whipped cream."
"easy to put together make the cake the day b4"
"This is a very good recipe just the way it is!"