- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, eggs, oil and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar and remaining pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice; beat until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat layers three times. Drizzle with caramel topping; sprinkle with pecans. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Torte
"Made this and I must concur, it's definitely a five-star recipe. It's presentation as well as flavor rivals any bakery ! Thanks for sharing, I will be making this often !"
"Made this for the first time to bring to a cooking club meeting. Everyone raved about it and my boyfriend loved it too. There's just enough pumpkin flavor but it's not overwhelming. The frosting is nice and light, not too sweet. My caramel got kind of messy and oozed off the cake but other than that, it actually came out looking pretty much like the photo."
"This was my first torte and I was really kind of nervous about how it would turn out. I made this for a potluck and everyone liked it. I liked it also, but I felt like it was missing something. Maybe more nuts - like in between each layer? Mine did not turn out quite as pretty as the picture, but I still think it looked impressive especially coming from me because I am not very much on baking."
"Used French Vanilla cake mix and OMGoodness!!!!!!!!!!!! I omitted the nuts, just put fall festive decorative sprinkles on top, and made my own salted caramel sauce and this was TO DIE for................"
"I make this every year and it's always a hit. Everyone who tastes it always asks me for the recipe. Best torte ever."
"This was a delicious cake, as well as fantastic looking. Received many compliments. Will definitely make it again."
"I used a spice cake mix. It was awesome!"