- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Pecan halves, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Combine cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, eggs, milk, oil and 1 teaspoon pie spice; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and the remaining pumpkin and pie spice until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat three times. Drizzle with caramel topping; sprinkle with pecans. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Torte
"I made this for a group of women and they all really liked it. Next time I will try it with spice cake mix. Good recipe."
"This is wonderful! I would have preferred the cake mix companies raise their prices rather than give you less product. 3 ozs less doesn't sound like a lot but I prefer making layer cakes and they just don't look as good, especially when you're dividing layers. Duncan Heinz has a recipe for a cake mix extender on their website, but if you have to mess with that you may as well make the whole thing from scratch."
"This is wonderful! I would have preferred the cake mix companies simply raise their prices rather than give you less product. 3 ounces less doesn't sound like a lot but I prefer making layer cakes and they just don't look as good, especially when you're dividing layers. Duncan Heinz has a recipe for a cake mix extender on their website, but if you have to mess with that you may as well make the whole thing from scratch."
"Made this and I must concur, it's definitely a five-star recipe. It's presentation as well as flavor rivals any bakery ! Thanks for sharing, I will be making this often !"
"I made this for my friend's birthday. She loves fall desserts. This one was perfect! It was easy to make, but looks like you spent hours on it. It's delicious without being overly sweet. Will definitely make again!!"
"Made this for the first time to bring to a cooking club meeting. Everyone raved about it and my boyfriend loved it too. There's just enough pumpkin flavor but it's not overwhelming. The frosting is nice and light, not too sweet. My caramel got kind of messy and oozed off the cake but other than that, it actually came out looking pretty much like the photo."
"This was my first torte and I was really kind of nervous about how it would turn out. I made this for a potluck and everyone liked it. I liked it also, but I felt like it was missing something. Maybe more nuts - like in between each layer? Mine did not turn out quite as pretty as the picture, but I still think it looked impressive especially coming from me because I am not very much on baking."
"Used French Vanilla cake mix and OMGoodness!!!!!!!!!!!! I omitted the nuts, just put fall festive decorative sprinkles on top, and made my own salted caramel sauce and this was TO DIE for................"