- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Additional chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 8x4-in. loaf pans. In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil and water until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, soda, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts, raisins and dates.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly. Spoon filling over batter. Cover filling completely with remaining batter.
- Bake 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in bread portion comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap in foil; refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, if desired, in a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bread; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Pumpkin Swirl Bread
"This recipe is superb. My family enjoys this year round but it is great for the holidays and my family always looks forward to it."
"I have made this bread numerous times & leave out the cloves as they overpower the taste. I also leave out the dates and sometimes leave out the walnuts. I've never made the topping. If you love cream cheese, you will love this bread. It freezes great!"
"This was excellent. Everyone loved it and it freezes great."
"So decadent. Prep time a bit more than the 15mins, but worth it. One of the best features is this recipe makes three loaves."
"The cloves were way too overpowering. It didn't taste like pumpkin and the cream cheese filling was too dense. It was like eating a plain block of cream cheese wrapped in tasteless nasty bread. I'm not new to baking and followed the directions exactly so I don't get the good reviews. I'm angry I wasted the ingredients and my time."
"Lots of ingredients and labor intensive for so little taste in the finished product. Not a keeper for me."
"I thought the pumpkin taste was delish!! Husband liked it a lot :)"
"So many other recipes out there that are much tastier. Lacked pumpkin taste. Cream cheese center was not very sweet or prominent. Reminds me of a bad attempt at improving fruitcake."
"I made this last night and it was great. I halved the recipe because I didn't need 3 loaves of bread and I made one loaf and the rest cupcakes. I did the 23 minutes with the cupcakes and 60 minutes with the bread as another suggested and it was perfect. I also left out the dates, raisins, and nuts inside just to see if it would be like a pumpkin roll. Not quite the same but very good."