Pumpkin Swirl Bread Recipe
This combination of pumpkin, nuts and dates makes a flavorful bread with a beautiful golden look. The surprise inside—a rich creamy swirl— is almost like a luscious layer of cheesecake in each slice. —Cindy May, Troy, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling YIELD:48 servings
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Additional chopped walnuts
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 8x4-in. loaf pans. In a small bowl, beat filling ingredients until smooth.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat sugar, pumpkin, eggs, oil and water until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, soda, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts, raisins and dates.
- 3. Pour half of the batter into prepared pans, dividing evenly. Spoon filling over batter. Cover filling completely with remaining batter.
- 4. Bake 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in bread portion comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap in foil; refrigerate until serving.
- 5. Just before serving, if desired, in a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bread; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 189 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC