Pumpkin Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pumpkin (10 to 12 pounds)
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil. Add water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in bouillon and tomatoes. Wash pumpkin; cut to 6 to 8 in. circle around top stem. Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loosen fibers from inside.
- Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan. Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace top. Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil. Bake at 325° for 2 hours or just until the pumpkin is tender (do not overbake). Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Stew(15)
Sort By :
The stew was very tasty!! But next time I will cut down on the cooking time both in the dutch oven stage and the baking stage. Things cooked much quicker than I expected. The pumpkin got a little soft.
This is a great stew recipe. But I found it taste just as good without the pumpkin.
I make this every year the Sunday before Halloween. I do not add green pepper but I do add a handful of spinach and some cumin and montreal steak seasoning to give it a kick.
I have been making this for almost 20 years now, and my family can't wait for it. I get a bigger pumpkin (wider, not taller) more of everything and have my whole family over
I have made this recipe since finding it in the Taste Of Home Magazine several years ago. My family looks forward to this every fall. It makes a wonderful presentation, and the taste is worth the extra time and effort to make it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Halloween Dinner Recipes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Pumpkin Recipes >
- Pumpkin Stew Recipes >
- Stew Recipes >