Pumpkin Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pumpkin (10 to 12 pounds)
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil. Add water, potatoes, carrots, green pepper, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in bouillon and tomatoes. Wash pumpkin; cut to 6 to 8 in. circle around top stem. Remove top and set aside; discard seeds and loosen fibers from inside.
- 2. Place pumpkin in a shallow sturdy baking pan. Spoon stew into pumpkin and replace top. Brush outside of pumpkin with remaining oil. Bake at 325° for 2 hours or just until the pumpkin is tender (do not overbake). Serve stew from pumpkin, scooping out a little pumpkin with each serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 324 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,070 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.