Pumpkin Spice Cake with Maple Glaze Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place first 10 ingredients in a large bowl; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- 2. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Whisk confectioners' sugar, milk, syrup and maple flavoring until smooth. Drizzle over cake and sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 436 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Pumpkin Spice Cake with Maple Glaze
"A wonderfully moist and delicious cake, with the ease of using a cake mix. I always have the same complaint about glazes, and some frostings......I really dislike the taste of the powdered sugar.....to me it tastes like dirt (!) Unless that taste is over-powered by other ingredients, that taste is there. I could taste it in this glaze, too, but that's not the fault of the recipe. As it sat, it seemed to become a little more maple-y, and it was still a delicious cake. The toasted pecans added a lot to it as well. Does anyone have any input on what makes powdered sugar taste that way? I've read that It could be the cornstarch that's added to it to prevent caking. Does powdered sugar that comes in a box have a better taste than the big plastic bags of it? I tried making it once by putting some sugar in the blender, but it wasn't same....maybe I didn't let it process long enough...it was like a very fine granulated sugar. As far as the glaze being runny, I just added the maple syrup, then gradually added the milk in tiny amounts, and I didn't have that problem with runniness. This is really a great cake recipe, though....I love it without any glaze at all."
"Delicious combination of pumpkin and spices in this moist cake! The glaze was a bit too runny; I will make it thicker next time. I cut back just a bit on the spices. My family gave it rave reviews at Christmas Eve supper."
"The recipe is awesome, the cake is moist and flavorful! The glaze was too runny, next time I will add more powdered sugar to make the glaze thicker, it ran everywhere."
"Delicious! It doesn't taste like pumpkin bread. It tastes like pumpkin pie!"
"I just made that cake and then made another one. I did not have any allspice but it was awesome without it. This recipe is a keeper' I send a picture of the first cake I made and send it to my son who immediately ask for one that's why I made two. Thank you"
"Sounds delicious with cutting out a little of the spice. How long might this bake in the oven as cupcakes?"
"Delicious! Quick to make and what an aroma while it is baking. A wonderful fall cake."
"It's a good cake! I kept forgetting about the pumpkin because the 'spice' overpowered that flavor. But I Love This Cake! I ate the whole thing!! (it only took 4 days!)"