Pumpkin Spice Bagels Recipe
Enjoy pumpkin pie flavor with these classic bagels. For a change, adjust the spices to suit your taste buds. —Kristy Reeves, LeRoy, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 15 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°), divided
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1. In bread machine pan, place 2/3 cup water, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, spices, flour and yeast in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into nine balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten rings slightly.
- 3. Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Drop bagels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- 4. Whisk egg white and remaining water; brush over bagels. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place bagels 2 in. apart on prepared pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 9 servings.
1 bagel equals 180 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC