- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the broth, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream; cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Soup
Sort By :
"This recipe is a keeper! I did share this with the Cook's Corner Recipe Challenge for Pumpkin this week! I have adjusted this recipe to suit my own tastes! I used 1 small finely chopped onion, 2 Tbsp. margarine, 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, 1 carton (13.7-oz.) chicken broth, 1 tsp. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper,. 1/4 tsp. EACH ground cloves, ground ginger and ground nutmeg. I also used 1 cup half and half cream instead of the whipping cream! I'd sauteed the onion in the margarine until tender, then just stirred in the flour until smooth. I added the broth gradually, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and spices; stirred together and covered pan. I brought to a boil; reduced heat and simmered, covered, 5 minutes. I then added the half and half and cooked, covered, 5 minutes, until soup was heated through. The addition of the cloves and ginger made for a really delicious spicy and tasty soup-NOT too spicy, but enough to bring out the fall flavor! Thank you for sharing this Quick Cooking recipe! delowenstein"
"Made this again today. I wanted a savory soup, so I omitted the sugar and traded the nutmeg for thyme and parsley. Used half and half since I had it on hand. It's a great fall soup. Easy to make ahead for a week of lunches."
"I made this with homegrown sugar pumpkins. It is very creamy (I even used fat free half and half instead of the heavy cream)!"
"This is a keeper!"
"Super easy and very tasty! I was expecting it to be more sweet, so I added two more teaspoons of brown sugar."