Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon Croutons Recipe
I was a caterer for years and this soup was always a favorite with clients. The crisp, cinnamon-sugar croutons complement the smooth, savory soup.—Ellen Conrad, Salem, Ohio
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups cubed French bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 1 can broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Cool slightly. Transfer mixture to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in the milk, pumpkin, cream and remaining broth; heat through.
- 3. For croutons, place bread cubes in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 5-8 minutes or until toasted. Combine the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon; drizzle over croutons and toss to coat. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Serve with soup. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup soup with 1/3 cup croutons equals 187 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon Croutons
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC