- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- American and Galbani® Mozzarella Cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pumpkin, tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut American cheese slices with a pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter. Cut mozzarella cheese into shapes (triangles, half-circles, etc.) to make pumpkin faces. Spoon meat mixture onto buns and top each with a pumpkin. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"Great way to add an extra healthy element (pumpkin) to sloppy joes."
"I've been serving this for years, but had lost the recipe. My family love it, it's economical and easy to make. The salt can be reduced or eliminated, if sodium is an issue."
"I've been making this recipe for well over 15 years and my family loves it!"
"Pumpkin adds an interesting textre. Next time, I may try ground turkey instead of the beef."
"Just finished making this and it really is very good. I made it with ground turkey and my entire family loved it. I will be making this again and again. Never thought of using pumpkin for anything else other than bread. I am so glad someone was kind enough to share this recipe."