Pumpkin Sloppy Joes for 2
Donna Musser of Pearl City, Illinois shares her “vine” version of an old standby-sloppy joes made with pumpkin! She adds cloves, nutmeg and chili powder for extra zest and suggests serving with dill pickle slices on the side.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash each ground cloves and nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the ketchup, tomato juice, chili powder, cloves, nutmeg and
- pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in pumpkin. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve on buns.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 350 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 730 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.