Donna Musser of Pearl City, Illinois shares her “vine” version of an old standby-sloppy joes made with pumpkin! She adds cloves, nutmeg and chili powder for extra zest and suggests serving with dill pickle slices on the side.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash each ground cloves and nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the ketchup, tomato juice, chili powder, cloves, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in pumpkin. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve on buns. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Pumpkin Sloppy Joes in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007, p19
Reviews for Pumpkin Sloppy Joes for 2
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review