- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- Whipped cream and additional ground cinnamon, optional
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and flour; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, salt, spices and remaining sugar. Stir in milk. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-55 minutes longer or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into squares. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Yield: 15-18 minutes.
Reviews for Pumpkin Shortbread Dessert
"Family really like this one! I love the simplicity and that this requires no graham cracker crumbs, nor a traditional pie crust. Keeps cost down. Also in the interest of cost, I made this using a recipe to make your own evaporated milk from instant dry powder, BIG mistake, there was a weird off taste- I definitely recommend using the canned evaporated milk."
"No fail. I always make this for Thanksgiving"
"I am putting this recipe in my favorites. Great time saver one dish not several pies to make. Great change of taste from usual crust. The flavor is wonderful. Thinking about topping with whipped cream and sprinkle with toffee chips"
"I made this a few years ago misplaced recipe. Just found it I plan to make it for our Christmas. Soooo much easier than several pies to make and the crust is a pleasant change. I top each individual piece with whipped cream and sometimes I just spread whipped cream over whole dessert. Thank you for your service I've searched my cookbooks for over three years to find it. You simplified my life!!!"
"This is such a terrific recipe, I've been making it for years, we all love it. I usually top it with a streusel before baking, the result is fantastic. give it a try!"
"I have made this recipe 3 times in the last month because everyone loves it so much....the crust is delicious! Tastes like pumpkin pie, but less work and a tastier crust."