- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- Chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar and oil until blended. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture, beating until well blended.
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar until smooth. Add milk until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Frost cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Sheet Cake
"I love this cake and get a lot of compliments on it. I make it at least once every fall. It is so moist and delicious."
"I have been making this cake for many years--everyone loves it. I bake it in a 9 x 13 pan and add extra spices--ginger, allspice, and cloves because I love a more like pumpkin pie flavor for the cake. I am not a fan of cream cheese icing so I always use a caramel frosting instead."
"I make this every year and last year I took it to class for my foreign students to try, since some had never had pumpkin. They raved about it and yesterday someone who moved up two levels asked if I was going to make my cake for my class again & if so, let her know, lol. Then the teacher in that class asked if we'd be having a Thanksgiving carry-in for our class and that several of her students were talking about the cake they'd had in my class. It's moist, flavorful, goes far and I never have left-overs. The only difference is the frosting--I use pumpkin flavored creamer instead of milk for my frosting for more flavor and I also put candy pumpkins on each square, as some are allergic to nuts."
"Who can turn down cream cheese frosting, right? I'll often find a lonely can of pumpkin in my cupboard sometimes and this is a great way to use it up!! I have extra large cookie sheets (16 X 12 ) so I will double the frosting."
"I have made this cake at least once a year since it was published in the Taste of Home Product Guide several years ago.. I make it according to directions and it turns out perfect and delicious every time. I always receive many compliments on it too."
"The Best tasting cake. My favorite"
"Wonderful cake! One of my favorites!"
"This recipe is from my high school typing teacher, Miss Baker! This cake is always part of my Fall baking."
"Easy to make and good."