These cookies, cut out in the traditional pumpkin shape, have a non-traditional Halloween flavor added—orange peel. They're delicious! —Margaret Hancock, Camp Verde, Arizona
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- Green and orange food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and orange peel until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. pumpkin cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, orange peel and enough orange juice to achieve spreading consistency. Remove 1/2 cup frosting; tint green. Tint remaining frosting orange. Frost cookies with orange frosting; add leaves and vines, using reserved green frosting. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Pumpkin-Shaped Rollouts in Taste of Home Halloween Party Food 2007, p33
Reviews for Pumpkin-Shaped Rollouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review