- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- Green and orange food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and orange peel until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. pumpkin cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, orange peel and enough orange juice to achieve spreading consistency. Remove 1/2 cup frosting; tint green. Tint remaining frosting orange. Frost cookies with orange frosting; add leaves and vines, using reserved green frosting. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Pumpkin-Shaped Rollouts
Sort By :
"Thank you so much for sharing!! My son has food allergies and I have never been able to find a cut out recipe that calls for crisco sticks and only 1 egg so I can use his egg substitute. My son LOVED them and so did the rest of the family! We cannot wait for x-mas to come and we can make cut out cookies!! Thanks a million....you put a BIG smile on a 9 year old face! :-)"
"My son has severe food allergies and I have tried MANY different cutout cookies and they all never turn out. This is the first recipe I have found that only calls for one egg so I can substitue his replacer for it, use his soy milk and they turned out perfect! It was a family hit and wonderful to see my 9 year old enjoying his first cut out cookie! Thanks a million!!!"